OpenAI has been adding several interesting features to ChatGPT, including support for web browsing and plugins. However, there is still no way to upload a document natively and ask questions from its context. Sure, some users can train an AI chatbot on their data, but not everyone has the understanding to set up tools and libraries. So if you are looking for an easy way to upload a document to ChatGPT, this tutorial is going to help you. We have included five different ways to upload PDF, Word, Excel, and other documents to ChatGPT.
Table of Contents
Upload a Document to ChatGPT for Free Using an Extension
We know that OpenAI has not yet added a native functionality to upload documents and files to ChatGPT. However, using a cool ChatGPT Chrome extension, you can upload various types of files to ChatGPT and it works flawlessly. The extension is called ChatGPT File Uploader Extended, and it lets you upload several document formats, including TXT, JS, PY, HTML, CSS, JSON, CSV, MD, TS, TSX, JSX, PDF, DOC, DOCX, XLS, XLSX, and ZIP. To learn about it works, follow the steps below.
1. Go ahead and install the ChatGPT File Uploader Extended extension from the link right here. It is completely free to use and works with any Chromium-based browser.
2. Now, simply open the ChatGPT website (visit) and an “Upload” button will appear at the bottom right.
3. Click the button and select the document you wish to upload. Among the popular document formats, it supports PDF, DOC, DOCX, XLSX, TXT, and more.
4. It will now start processing your document automatically.
5. After a while, the AI chatbot will generate a summary of the document.
6. You can now ask questions, and ChatGPT will answer from the uploaded document. How cool is that?
7. I tested Word files, Excel tables, PDF documents, and more, and it processed everything successfully. Keep in mind that it cannot process documents with scanned images, though.
8. You can also click the “Settings” icon next to the “Upload” button and increase the chunk size if you have a large document. Also, you can customize the prompts, ZIP file settings, and more.
Upload a PDF File to ChatGPT Using a Third-party Website
If you want to upload a PDF file to ChatGPT, you can take a look at chatpdf.com (visit). It’s a great service that uses ChatGPT API to process and analyze PDF files. The best part is that you don’t need to add your API key.
For free users, the service allows up to 120 pages per PDF file (10MB or below) and three PDF file uploads in a day. You can ask up to 50 questions per day. If you choose to get the Plus subscription ($5 per month), you can upload up to 2,000 pages per PDF document to this ChatGPT website. Here is how to use it.
1. Head over to chatpdf.com (visit) and click on “Drop PDF here” to upload your PDF document.
2. You can also enter the URL of a PDF file using the “From URL” link at the bottom.
3. It will process the PDF document within a few seconds depending on the file size.
4. First, it will show a summary of the document with three suggested questions. You can also ask your questions below and chat with the PDF file.
For those unaware, Microsoft has added a ChatGPT-powered Bing Sidebar (also called Discover) to its Edge browser. It’s one of the best AI tools that allows you to analyze documents without even having to upload the file. Simply open the document in Microsoft Edge, and it will automatically process the file. Here is how it works.
1. Launch Microsoft Edge and open the PDF file by pressing “Ctrl + O”. You can also open the web version of Microsoft Office or Google Docs or even a webpage.
2. Now, click the Bing Sidebar button and start asking questions. You can begin with a summary, and it will give a contextualized answer from the document open in that tab.
3. You can ask further questions, and it will continue answering from the document itself. You can also click on “Answer from this page instead” if it responds from the web.
Analyze PDF or Text Documents Using ChatGPT Plugins
If you are subscribed to ChatGPT Plus, you can now use the latest GPT-4 model and ChatGPT Plugins to upload and study any kind of document. You need to enable ChatGPT Plugins to access the documents. Here are the steps you need to follow:
1. First, open the ChatGPT website (visit) and enable ChatGPT Plugins by following our linked guide.
2. Next, move to the“GPT-4” model. Here, click on the “Plugins” option.
2. Now, open the “Plugin store” using the dropdown menu.
3. Here, move to the “All” section, look for the “AskYourPDF” plugin, and install it. You can also try the Link Reader plugin, which works similarly.
4. Next, enable “AskYourPDF” from the arrow icon once the plugin is installed.
5. Finally,enter the document link into ChatGPT,and you can ask any question you want.
6. If you want to upload your own document, run the below prompt and it will give you a link where you can upload the file.
upload a document
7. Open the link and here, you can upload a variety of document formats, including PDF, DOC, DOCX, TXT, PPT, PPTX, CSV, EPUB, and RTF.
8. It will now give you a document ID. Copy it. This will allow you to continue chatting with the document in ChatGPT’s interface.
9. Simply paste the document ID and ask your questions. It will automatically identify your uploaded document and let you ask questions from that particular document only.
Upload a Document to ChatGPT Using BookGPT
Finally, there is also a BookGPT project on Hugging Face that lets you upload an entire book. If you have a large document, this project is suitable for you. It uses ChatGPT’s API to process and analyze the document. The only drawback is that you need to add your OpenAI API key. Here is how it works.
1. First, sign in to your OpenAI account fromhere. If you don’t have an account, create a free account.
2. Then, click on “Create a new secret key” and copy the API key. If you have exhausted your free API credit, you need to add a card to use it.
3. Next, open the BookGPT project and paste the OpenAI API key at the bottom.
4. After that, add the URL of the PDF document or upload a local PDF file to ChatGPT. Now, ask your questions and click on “Submit” here.
5. Within a few seconds, the document will be processed, and you will get an answer with page number citations. Isn’t that cool? You can now continue asking more questions.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you upload a file to ChatGPT?
OpenAI has not yet added a native option to upload a file to ChatGPT’s interface. However, with Plugins support, API key, extensions, and other third-party services, you can indeed upload a file to ChatGPT.
Can you load a PDF into ChatGPT?
Yes, you can load a PDF file into ChatGPT using Plugins. Apart from that, you can use a Chrome extension, OpenAI API key, or ChatGPT-powered websites to load PDF files seamlessly.
How to Upload a Document to ChatGPT? ›
Simply upload the PDF to the tool, select the option to convert it to a text file, and then download the resulting text file to your computer. Once you have the text file, you can copy and paste the content into the ChatGPT chat window or upload the file directly to the chat window.Can you upload documents into ChatGPT? ›
Upload your PDF document by adding this prompt 'upload a pdf' and then click on the hyperlink 'Upload Document'. This will open up a new tab where you can upload a PDF Document. After uploading the document, please copy the Document ID.How can I upload a PDF to ChatGPT? ›
- PDF to text, then copy and paste (has word limit issue)
- Paste the link of the file directly.
- Third-party solutions.
- The free tool recommended by Zuzanna Glogowska in the comment: SciSpace's copilot on typeset.io.
- On your Android phone or tablet, open the Google Drive app.
- Tap Add .
- Tap Upload.
- Find and tap the files you want to upload.
- View uploaded files in My Drive until you move them.
- Sign in to the SmartVault Portal.
- Enter your email address and password you used to activate your guest account.
- Click Sign In. ...
- Select File Exchange. ...
- Click the folder where you would like to upload your files.
- Click Upload file to open Upload file here.
- By dragging and dropping the file or folder onto the FileCloud browser window.
- By opening a folder and clicking Add Files and Folders > Upload File or Upload Folder, then choosing a file or folder.
- By clicking the upload button in the dashboard.
- Drag your file into the PDF-to-Text converter.
- Select OCR if needed, or choose “Convert selectable text.”
- Wait while we convert your file in seconds.
- Download your file as a fully editable Word doc!
- Open the PDF in Acrobat, and then choose Tools > Export PDF. ...
- Select the file format to which you want to export the PDF file and a version (or format), if available. ...
- Click Export.
Click on the Edit PDF tool in the right pane. Acrobat automatically applies optical character recognition (OCR) to your document and converts it to a fully editable copy of your PDF. Note: this process can take anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes, depending on the size of your document.Why won't a document upload? ›
A common cause of file upload failure is an incorrect filename or a filename that is incompatible across different systems. For example, some operating systems accept filenames with special characters like &, !, #, and more. Many operating systems even allow white spaces within a filename.
How do I upload a document to download? ›
- Click the New button.
- Select File upload or Folder upload. You can also right-click in the blank area below the list of files and folders and select an upload option from the menu.
- Select the content you want to upload.
- Click Open for a file or Upload for a folder.
Keep in mind that electronic files generally must be in one of the following formats in order to be uploaded: PDF, TIF, JPG, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP.What is ChatGPT and how do I use it? ›
ChatGPT is a natural language processing tool driven by AI technology that allows you to have human-like conversations and much more with the chatbot. The language model can answer questions and assist you with tasks, such as composing emails, essays, and code.How does ChatGPT actually work? ›
Chat GPT uses deep learning algorithms to analyze input text prompts and generate responses based on patterns in the data it has been trained on. It is trained on a massive corpus of text, including books, articles, and websites, allowing it to understand language nuances and produce high-quality responses.What is the URL for ChatGPT? ›
The official website for Chat GPT is https://chat.openai.com/chat . Here, you can find information about the chatbot, its features, and how it works. The website also provides a chatbot so you can use it.How do I upload a document to Veeva? ›
From the Actions menu, select the option to Check Out. Click on the Actions menu once more and select Check In. Upon Checking In the new document, an option to upload a new file appears. Once the file is selected, select Check In.How does SmartVault work? ›
SmartVault is a secure online file sharing and document storage program that offers these features: Online Document Management: Access file anytime from any device. SmartVault delivers all the benefits of a cloud drive, with best-in-class security and productivity features you need to run your business.How do I move files in SmartVault? ›
Sign in to the SmartVault Portal. Select View Files and Folders from the left sidebar. ), and choose Move. In the Manage Files pop-up modal, select the destination to move the file and click Save changes.How do I upload local files to Azure? ›
- In the Azure portal, navigate to the container you created in the previous section.
- Select the container to show a list of blobs it contains. ...
- Select the Upload button to open the upload blade and browse your local file system to find a file to upload as a block blob.
In the Google Cloud console, go to the Cloud Storage Buckets page. In the list of buckets, click on the name of the bucket that you want to upload an object to. In the Objects tab for the bucket, either: Drag and drop the desired files from your desktop or file manager to the main pane in the Google Cloud console.
How do I upload files from my laptop to the cloud? ›
Drag files from the desktop or a folder window on your computer to the iCloud Drive window or a folder icon in the iCloud Drive window. If you drag to a folder icon, it becomes highlighted to confirm that the item you're dragging will go into the folder.
- Click the Select a file button above, or drag and drop files into the PDF drop zone.
- Select the PDF you want to convert to the DOCX file format.
- Watch Acrobat automatically convert the file from PDF to an editable Word document.
- Download the converted Word document or sign in to share it.
PDF is a document file format that contains text, images, data etc. This document type is Operating System independent. It is an open standard that compresses a document and vector graphics.Can word convert PDF to text? ›
How to convert PDF files into Word documents: Open a PDF file in Acrobat. Click on the “Export PDF” tool in the right pane. Choose Microsoft Word as your export format, and then choose “Word Document.”How do I save a PDF or Export it? ›
- Launch Acrobat and select Tools from the menu bar.
- Select Create PDF in the Tools view.
- Choose the appropriate conversion type.
- Drag and drop your files into the conversion window or locate them manually.
- Start the conversion.
- Save and rename your files, if necessary.
Adobe Acrobat Export PDF is an Adobe Document Cloud service that lets you reuse valuable content stored in PDF files. Instead of retyping the information, use your Export PDF subscription to turn PDF files into editable Microsoft Word, Excel, and RTF (rich text format) documents.How to convert PDF to JPG? ›
- Open the PDF in Acrobat.
- Click the Export PDF tool in the right pane.
- Choose Image as your export format, and then choose JPEG.
- Click Export. The Save As dialog box is displayed.
- Select a location where you want to save the file, and then click Save.
Open a PDF file containing a scanned image in Acrobat for Mac or PC. Click on the “Edit PDF” tool in the right pane. Acrobat automatically applies optical character recognition (OCR) to your document and converts it to a fully editable copy of your PDF. Click the text element you wish to edit and start typing.Is there a free PDF converter? ›
Free PDF Converter is a simple and powerful PDF Converter tool for you. PDF to Word & PDF to Excel & PDF to Html & PDF to Txt are included in PDF Converter Suite. It also supports Word to PDF, Excel to PDF, Text to PDF, Webpage to PDF, PNG to PDF, JEPG to PDF, Html to PDF.How do I convert a PDF image to text in Word? ›
- Step 1Open Microsoft Word and insert an image. First, open a blank Word document. ...
- Step 2Save as a PDF. Then save the file in PDF format.
- Step 3Open the PDF file in Microsoft Word. ...
- Step 4Convert the PDF file to text. ...
- Step 5Check the text.
Why can't I upload a PDF document? ›
If you get a message about the file exceeding a size limit, make sure your file is under 30 MB and less than 1,000 pages by checking the file Properties or using Get Info. Once you've verified that the file is not too large, simply try uploading the same file again. If it still fails, try a different web browser.Why can't I upload my PDF? ›
Cause A: The document is corrupted
Your file may be corrupted, which means there are metadata issues in the file that occurred during original document generation, scanning, or some other conversion process, has produced an invalid PDF (i.e., one that doesn't conform to PDF structure standards).
Uploading is the transmission of a file from one computer system to another, usually larger computer system. From a network user's point-of-view, to upload a file is to send it to another computer that is set up to receive it.What's the difference between download and upload? ›
Uploading is the process of putting web pages, images and files onto a web server. Downloading is the process of getting web pages, images and files from a web server. To make a file visible to everyone on the internet, you will need to upload it.Where can I upload and download files? ›
This error means that your computer's security settings blocked the file. Learn more about blocked downloads. On Windows: Windows Attachment Manager could have removed the file you tried to download. To see what files you can download or why your file was blocked, check your Windows internet security settings.How do I upload a document from my phone? ›
Once you've installed the Google Drive app on your iPhone or Android, you can also use the share menu from your iOS or Android apps such as Photos or Voice Memos to upload files. Just tap Share within any app and choose Drive.What are three examples of uploading a file? ›
Examples of uploading include sending email, posting photos on a social media site and using your webcam. Even clicking on a link on a web page sends a tiny data upload. Downloading means your computer is receiving data from the Internet.Is ChatGPT for free? ›
Made by OpenAI, well-known for having developed the text-to-image generator DALL-E, ChatGPT is currently available for anyone to try out for free, now with even a free iOS app being launched. Here's what ChatGPT is, how to use it, and how it could change the future of the internet.Is ChatGPT an app? ›
The ChatGPT app is a free app without any ads. People who are already familiar with ChatGPT will feel right at home as it's basically just a way to interact with the chatbot — nothing more, nothing less.
Why is ChatGPT not working? ›
The most common reasons include poor internet connectivity, a VPN that's not functioning correctly, an overloaded server, or a temporary outage in OpenAI's server. Additionally, the error might be a result of an error in your chatbot session, which could occur when generating too much text or running too many queries.How much will ChatGPT cost? ›
ChatGPT Plus was announced at the end of January 2023 and in relation to ChatGPT Pro would be one of the lower-cost plans. You can get access to this paid version of ChatGPT for a monthly subscription of $20.How accurate is ChatGPT? ›
Is ChatGPT a credible source? No, ChatGPT is not a credible source of factual information and can't be cited for this purpose in academic writing. While it tries to provide accurate answers, it often gets things wrong because its responses are based on patterns, not facts and data.Is ChatGPT better than Google? ›
Chat GPT wins on overall feature set, but Google Bard wins on computational resources. And don't expect Google to accept overall second place. It is throwing a lot of resources at the AI competition.Can ChatGPT access the internet? ›
On Thursday, the company unveiled its ChatGPT plugins that will let the bot have access to third-party databases and knowledge sources including the web.Can I use ChatGPT on Google? ›
Yes, the ChatGPT chrome extension can be used on any website that you have open in your browser. How can I access ChatGPT alongside Google search results? >> To access ChatGPT alongside Google search results, you will need to install ChatGPT for Chrome extension that integrates ChatGPT with Google search.Is ChatGPT for Google safe? ›
Yes, Chat GPT is safe to use.
The AI chatbot and its generative pre-trained transformer (GPT) architecture were developed by Open AI to safely generate natural language responses and high quality content in such a way that it sounds human-like.
With file upload fields, your customers can upload their resumes, cover letters, photos, spreadsheets, and more with their form entries. If your customers have one file or ten, it won't matter—we'll still take care of them.Can I upload documents to DocuSign? ›
From your DocuSign Account, click NEW, then click Send an Envelope. Click UPLOAD A FILE to upload a document from your computer.How do I add documents to SkySlope? ›
After locating the document, click on the document name, and then click Open. The page will redirect to SkySlope and the document will be scanned. After the document is done scanning, click on Start Upload to upload the document.
How do I upload a PDF to Cnava? ›
Drag and drop your PDF to the editor. On the top corner of the editor, click on File > Upload a file. On the editor side panel, click on the Uploads tab, then click on Upload files. Select the files you want to upload, or drag and drop them in the Uploads tab.How do I upload documents to client portal? ›
To get started, click on My Resources > Documents from the main navigation menu. In the bottom right corner of your Documents page, click the red Fast Action Button: On the Upload Files page, click on the Select files button to select one or more files from your computer. You can upload up to 10 documents at once.Can you upload documents through Google Forms? ›
In Forms, open a form or quiz. and enter your request for information. and select File upload. If prompted, review the uploading information and click Continue.Is Cognito Forms Hipaa compliant? ›
Cognito Forms is designed to comply with US and international regulations such as HIPAA, GDPR and CCPA, as well as provide PCI-Compliant payment and meet ADA standards for online accessibility.How do I upload a PDF to DocuSign template? ›
Upload the fillable PDF form from your computer, email, or file-sharing site (like Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, or OneDrive) to your DocuSign library. In the DocuSign library, highlight the form and then choose Sign and Send. At the Apply Form Fields prompt, choose Apply, which allows you to edit the fields in the PDF.How do I send a PDF to DocuSign? ›
Click the Start button. Select Sign a Document. Choose Upload and select the PDF document that you want to sign. Check the “I'm the only signer” box (if applicable).Can I send a Word document to DocuSign? ›
DocuSign lets you upload and sign documents in a variety of formats, including Microsoft Word files.How do I upload documents to Genesys cloud? ›
Click Documents. Find the workspace to which you want to upload files and click the upload button. Select the files. You can drag and drop a file onto the page, or you can click Browse for Documents.What integrates with SkySlope? ›
- SkySlope Set your brokerage on auto-pilot.
- Forms Initiate real estate contracts quickly.
- DigiSign Seal the deal quickly and securely.
- Offers Collect, share, and accept your offers.
- SkyTC Keep your clients happy while they work.
- Breeze Speed through your disclosures.
Accessing Office Docs
From the SkySlope home page, click on Working Docs. Once in Working Docs, click on the Office Docs tab. Once on the Office Docs tab, locate the folder that has the document you need.
How do I upload and edit a PDF? ›
- Open a file in Acrobat.
- Click on the “Edit PDF” tool in the right pane.
- Use Acrobat editing tools: Add new text, edit text, or update fonts using selections from the Format list. ...
- Save your edited PDF: Name your file and click the “Save” button.
Jumpshare offers a free online library to upload your PDF files - big or small. Once you've signed up for an account, you will be taken to your online dashboard where you can click the Upload button from the left side to upload PDF documents. You can also drag & drop PDF files to the window to upload.